How to identify my company tax number?

Starting a business is not always easy, it can be confusing to understand the different rules, regulations, and requirements that come with it. It happens especially when you have a different official registered number to refer to.

At the beginning of your company formation, the company will get a number as well as a tax number. These two numbers are not at all similar and need to be used separately within your business.

Company Registration Number

The company number provided at the beginning of the company formation is officially known as the company Registration Number (CRN). You will receive your CRN from Companies House once the company formation process is completed and your company has been registered with them. You can find the CRN number on your certificate of incorporation. This number will be required every time you submit your statutory information to Companies House.

The following are the purpose of using CRN:

  • Hiring and removing secretaries and directors
  • Filling a Return of Allotment of Shares
  • For filling the company tax returns
  • To issue company share certificates
  • Filing annual confirmation statement and making it updated
  • To register with HMRC for business taxes.

Company tax number

This is another number, which is officially referred to as your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). The UTR number will be issued to you by HMRC once you have officially registered your company with the Companies House. You will be receiving your UTR as soon as your company has been formed. A company's tax number is used in a similar way as you use your company number to deal with Companies House. You must ensure your UTR communicates with HMRC whenever required to contact them and to submit your company's financial records.

The following are the purpose of using UTR:

  • Making changes in your corporation tax accounting period.
  • To file tax returns and VAT returns.
  • To provide information to HMRC if your business is dormant
  • To pay your employees
  • Registering for VAT, PAYE, and corporation tax.
  • To contact HMRC about anything else, which is related to your firm.


UTRs are issued by HMRC to companies that are registered with the Companies House. According to law, your registered company is seen as a separate identity, so your company will have its own unique number UTR, hence, you will be able to use your own taxpayer reference number for any official reason.

The CRN, on the other hand, is provided by the Companies House after the company registration. The CRN is required to submit statutory information to Companies House.


© 2024, RTRSupports Limited. All Rights Reserved.