To set up a bank account in the UK, you will need to meet some eligibility criteria and provide some documents. Depending on the type of account and provider you choose, the requirements may vary.
Here are some general steps to follow:
1. Choose a bank account that suits your needs. You can compare different accounts from various providers using comparison websites or online guides. Some of the factors to consider are fees, features, services, interest rates, overdrafts, and customer reviews.
2. Check the eligibility criteria for the account you want to open. Some accounts may have a minimum age, income, or residency requirements. You may also need to pass a credit check or have a UK address.
3. Gather the documents you need to prove your identity and address. You will usually need two documents: one to prove your identity and one to prove your address. The documents accepted may vary depending on the provider, but some common ones are a passport, driving licence, national ID card, utility bill, bank statement, or council tax bill. Some providers may accept digital copies or scans of your documents.
4. Apply for the account online through the provider's website or app. You will need to fill in an application form with your personal and financial details, such as your name, date of birth, nationality, address, income, and expenses. You will also need to upload or send your documents for verification. You may be asked to create a username and password for online banking access.
5. Wait for the approval of your application. This may take a few minutes or a few days, depending on the provider and the type of account. You may receive an email or text message confirming your application status. If your application is approved, you will receive your account number, sort code, and debit card details. You may also receive a welcome pack with more information about your account and how to use it.
6. Activate your account and start using it. You may need to activate your debit card or online banking access before you can use them. You can do this by following the instructions provided by the provider. You can then start depositing money, making payments, setting up direct debits or standing orders, and managing your account online or through the app.
Login to your existing account or register a new if you don't have one. Once you are registered.
Registered accounts gets these benefits:
- Buy various types of services