Trademark registration is the process of protecting your brand name, logo, slogan, or design from being used by others without your permission. It can also help you build customer loyalty, prevent confusion, and enhance your reputation. To register a trademark in the UK, you need to meet some requirements and follow some steps. Here are some of the top 5 needs for trademark registration UK:
1. A distinctive and non-descriptive mark: Your trademark must be able to identify your goods or services from those of other businesses. It should not be too common, generic, or descriptive of the goods or services you offer.
2. A clear representation of the mark: You must provide a clear and accurate representation of your trademark in your application. It can be a word, logo, sound, colour, or a combination of any of these. You should also specify the type of mark you are applying for, such as standard character, figurative, shape, etc.
3. A list of goods or services: You must indicate the classes of goods or services that you want to use your trademark for. There are 45 classes in total, and each class covers a specific category of goods or services. You can choose one or more classes depending on your business needs. You should also provide a detailed description of the goods or services within each class.
Also read: Is it hard to run and form offshore company?
4. A fee payment: You must pay a fee to register your trademark with the Intellectual Property Office (IPO). The fee depends on the method of application and the number of classes you choose.
5. A successful examination and publication: After you submit your application, the IPO will examine it to check if it meets the requirements for registration and if it is not identical or similar to any existing trademarks. If there are no issues, the IPO will publish your application in the journal for two months, during which anyone can oppose it if they have valid grounds. If there are no oppositions or if they are resolved in your favour, you will receive a certificate of registration.
Login to your existing account or register a new if you don't have one. Once you are registered.
Registered accounts gets these benefits:
- Buy various types of services